Music Training & Artistry
Higher Voice Studio is where everyone…
can learn to sing, play an instrument,
unlock their unique artistic expression
and set their musical voice free!
Founded by Hilerie Klein Rensi in 2011, Higher Voice Studio has quickly become the most sought-after music school in the regional Pittsburgh Area. Bringing her expertise as a private voice instructor, coach, and professional opera, musical theater, and rock singer, Hilerie has taught over 1000 students who have ranged from professional country singers to high school students looking towards a career in classical music.
Responding to the growing need for excellence in vocal education, in 2014 Hilerie began training talented and aspiring voice teachers, creating a place where students can be instructed and supported by multiple experts while receiving a unified vision of healthy, solid vocal technique. In 2017, Higher Voice Studio purchased and completed an award-winning renovation to their 6000 square foot building in beautiful downtown Carnegie, complete with nine teaching studios, three lobbies, a classroom, and a performance venue for their students and the community.
Now offering piano lessons, guitar lessons, open-mic nights, and workshops for all Higher Voice Studio continues its mission to provide the most complete education for the artist of all ages, levels, and styles. To provide a community where singers, musicians, and performers of all ages levels, and styles can try boldly, fail loudly, grow endlessly, create joyfully, and are united in the belief that bringing out the best in each other, helps to bring out the best in ourselves. To create a home where everyone can find their inner voice and set it free.
Book Your First Lesson
Private Voice Lessons
Voice lessons at Higher Voice Studio are as individual as you are. We have never taught the same lesson twice and we work tirelessly to develop a plan that best fits your unique needs. Our teachers are experts in bringing out the voice that is inside you. With advanced technique exercises, deep empathy, many lifetime’s worth of experience, endless encouragement and a healthy sense of humor, every one of our voice teachers have heard the call. The call to help you SING!
Piano & Musicianship Lessons
18 Reasons Why
18 Reasons Why
We are the right school for you
- Because you want to find your musical voice- You know you do! Maybe you’re a professional singer and your voice is feeling tired at the end of the night. Maybe you’ve been writing music, but don’t know how to play an instrument. Maybe you’re singing at school, but you’ve never gotten that solo you auditioned for. Maybe that piano’s been collecting dust in your living room and you don’t know where to start! Maybe you used to sing in high school, but now you have a “real job” and just know that something’s missing. Maybe you only sing in your shower! Or maybe you’re too afraid to sing even with the windows rolled up in your car, for fear that someone would hear you. Gasp!!! But still, you want to! We want you to too! We want you to make music not because you’re good at it, but because it’s good for you! You’ve got a musical voice inside you that wants to come out! We will show you how to sing; how to get your voice to sing, how to get that piano to SING!
- Singing and piano lessons in ONE location- because our voice students want to learn to accompany themselves on piano. Because you’re busy and you don’t want to drive everywhere for the education that you need and want! Every one of our instructors is a multi-instrumentalist and intent on supporting all of your musical aspirations, whether that’s one instrument or three!
- The most gifted, qualified & inspired instructors in Pittsburgh- because singing, playing piano, and guitar are skills that can be trained. You were born with the ability to walk, but it was only through learning, experimenting, falling, getting up, and then trying again and again that you gained the skills to be able to walk. Our teachers are experts in learning, experimenting, falling, getting up, and then trying again and again. That’s why Higher Voice Studio has the most knowledgeable and effective strategies for helping you succeed. We’ve been there! Not one of our teachers was born this way. We didn’t wake up as professional musicians. All of us learned how to do it! And now we are all called to show you how you can do it too!
- A proven track record of excellence in music education since 2000- because we love what we do and we are darn good at it! Visit our testimonial page to hear what students and parents alike have been saying for years. Higher Voice Studio is THE place to study voice, piano, and guitar and we do hope you make Higher Voice Studio your musical home.
- No long-term contracts– because we want you to want to be here as much as we do. Higher Voice Studio doesn’t require semester or year-long contracts for any of our lesson programs. With month-to-month tuition, our students and teachers have the freedom to evaluate lesson goals and musical progress and can respond accordingly so that our students can have the highest quality learning experience.
- Monthly open mic nights- because you want to put yourself out there! You’re tired of waiting for someone to cast you, or to choose you for the solo, or to give you that big break so you finally show everyone and yourself what you can do! You don’t need permission to perform! Come to our Open Mic Night. Play! Sing! And feel the love of a crowd on the second Friday of every month. You need this!
- Free Group Classes- because you can’t learn everything in a private lesson. “Wait, but don’t you teach private lessons?” you ask. Yup! But we also know that some things can only be learned surrounded by a supportive community. We offer tons of free classes such as Acting for Singers, Sight-Singing & Musicianship Classes to help you learn the language of music, Group Voice and Piano Classes, and even Masterclasses with our owner and founder, Hilerie Klein Rensi. Did you miss your lesson this week because of illness or a scheduling conflict? No worries! Register for a free group class! All the best information, from all the best teachers, with all of your musical family and friends, all under one roof.
- Recitals- because we love to show off! That’s right! You’ve been working hard all year and you’re proud of all you’ve accomplished. Well, we are proud of you too!! Bring your friends and family on your musical journey and perform in front of a supportive community that wants you to be the best you can be.
- An award-winning and inspiring facility- because you deserve to learn surrounded by beauty. Winner of the Pittsburgh Business Times’ “Pittsburgh’s Coolest Building Renovation,” our 3-floor, 6000 square foot, fully redesigned building features 9 teaching studios, a small classroom, three comfortable lobbies for students, friends, and families, and a first-floor performance venue for recitals, workshops, open mic nights and group classes.
- Comfortable lobbies for clients and families- because you’ve got work to do. Our three lobbies offer comfortable chairs and couches, free WiFi, a table for puzzles, and spots for completing homework and plugging in multiple devices. We also provide observation windows on every door so you can watch your child’s lesson while you wait.
- Parents and family are always welcome in lessons- because the more the merrier. Our founder, Hilerie, has so many fond memories of her parents and even her grandparents listening in on her music lessons as a child, so at Higher Voice Studio our families are always welcome to be a supportive presence for their children. Come on in and watch the magic happen…..
- Centrally Located to all of Pittsburgh and beyond- because our students come from everywhere. We are easily accessible from I-79 and I-376, downtown, the North Hills of Pittsburgh, the South Hills of Pittsburgh, and only 15 minutes from the airport for our students that are flying in for their lessons.
- In the beautiful heart of downtown Carnegie- because we love our little borough. Higher Voice Studio is at the foot of The Carnegie Library and Music Hall and right off Broadway (we couldn’t make that up). To our left is 131 East (one of our favorite little restaurants), Off The Wall Theater & The Carnegie Stage, Firebox Art Studio, The Carnegie Coffee Shop (located in Carnegie’s historic post office), and LeoGreta (Pittsburgh’s Best New Restaurant 2018). To our right is Bakn (Featured on Food Network), Quantum Spirits (craft distillery and awesomeness), Rileys Pour House (voted Best Irish Pub in Pittsburgh), and we’re surrounded by some of the most beautiful boutiques and shops offering everything from antiques and gifts to mead. Are we bragging? Definitely, yes.
- Workshops- because sometimes you want to really dig in. Answering questions about everything from breathing, audition techniques, nerves, and 21st Century belt technique to vocal health, Higher Voice Studio’s founder, Hilerie Klein Rensi offers several workshops throughout the year, teaching the techniques that her voice students all over the world use to release tension in their instrument and gain strength, endurance, freedom, and confidence throughout their entire vocal range.
- Guest Artists- because we have famous friends who also want to teach you. Higher Voice Studio is not only a community of students, but it’s also a community of teachers and we are always excited to bring in guest faculty, artists, musicians, and performers to guide and mentor you on your path. From top voice faculty at college programs around the country to Emmy Award-winning recording artists, our students have access to a world of information and experience in the music business and performing world through regular guest workshops throughout the year.
- Free Parking– because you shouldn’t have to pay for that. During most popular lesson times like Monday-Friday 3 pm till 9 pm and weekends, free street parking and lots are available within walking distance to the studio. Unless you want to drop your child off and then go grab a coffee next door at the Carnegie Coffee Shop, which is fine too, of course!
- Morning, Afternoon, and Evening Lesson Times- because you do other cool things too. Our students and families are busy juggling multiple commitments and schedules, so we offer a wide variety of lesson times to suit your busy lives. Offering earlier spots for retirees, homeschoolers
- Handicap accessible- because we want everyone to make music! Don’t let a wheelchair stop you from becoming the musician you want to be. Our facility is fully accessible and we will do all that we can to accommodate your unique circumstances so that you receive the musical education you need and deserve.
We Love You Too
Ciara O'Neill Mendoza
Mary Beth Willis
Hilerie manages her lesson times and plans effortlessly- with time for friendly and purposeful chat, constructive critiques, instructions to prepare for the next lesson, to cover lesson goals and, of course SING! Lessons are truly just plain fun, and we always completed the class with a sense of having accomplished something significant.
Hilerie takes the time to get to know and listen to her students and families, developing goals about what is wanted and needed from vocal lessons- preparation for festivals, auditions, performances, recitals, choral rehearsals, family duets, or just self-satisfaction- she is a unique and extremely gifted teacher! Great for beginning or advanced vocalists of any age!
Personal, Private, Challenging, Inspirational- time with Ms. Klein Rensi is time well spent.”
Laurie Kudis, Charm and Chain
Lauren and Hannah Hobbs, The Hobbs Sisters
If Hilerie was the vocal coach for a president of The United States, not only would the president use much better breath control during his speeches, but he would legislate that all supermarkets carry nothing but organic food harvested using sustainable farming techniques, his foreign policy would be so good that it would usher in a whole new era of world peace, and we’d all have such a winning attitude that the economy would be going straight up with no sign of stopping!”